Friday, March 30, 2012


When I got the date for my run officially approved and cleared by the school, I was super excited: so I got busy. I called news stations, posted flyers, made a website, gathered volunteers, booked a band, the whole sha-bang. 

The other day, I got an email from Ms. AwesomeTeacher - administration did not check the athletic calendar before they approved the date, and SURPRISE! There's a track meet on April 11th.

So not only do I have lots of advertisements, volunteers, public knowledge of the event, and a band - but now I also have no venue.

My feelings are a huge melting pot. I'm angry with the school for approving an event that can't take place, but at the same time, I feel like I have no right to be angry because they were extending their generosity in the first place by offering the track free for this event's use. I know that I should be thankful that they agreed to this at all, thankful that they are searching for a new date that they are POSITIVE the track is free. They wanted to help - I can't fault them for that. I can't justly be angry that they need the track for what it was intended for - the track team - but I'm ticked off that now I'm in this situation.  I'm upset that no one thought to check and make sure the track was actually available before promising it away. Some part of me, unfairly, feels that they should move either the track meet location or date, now that they've already booked it for an event... but I know they can't (or won't). The purpose of the track is to be there for the track meets, and I'm not even paying them... but it's frustrating. Extremely frustrating.

I'm going to be honest - I have no idea what to do. I'm trying to run damage control, but it feels like a new fire springs up as soon as I put one out. 

I told her it would probably be okay to move the date, so long as we moved it by the 1st to give stations a chance to correct the ad. She told me the 25th looked like a probability, but she wanted to 100% clear it this time so we don't have another mishap. This was a little over a week ago, and no word since... I'm getting nervous. If I didn't trust Ms. AwesomeTeacher so completely, I'd be crapping my pants. I'll update when I hear back... please cross your fingers for me.


  1. You certainly would rank much higher on heaven's forgiveness scale than I...if some one gives you their word, they are responsible to check for conflicts. I was a high school principal for 30 years. If I gave an organization my word that they could use my facility for a good cause and then a conflict arose, I would re-schedule a track meet...not as big of a deal as re-scheduling a fundraiser for a noble cause. The school and Ms. Awesome need to make things right. Obviously, I'm not the forgiving type when it comes to bureaucracies....sorry, this happened.

    1. Thanks, Phil. I wish they would re-schedule the meet, but the last thing I want to do is make waves by demanding they do so. If I make it inconvenient for them to do this, they may hesitate in the future if people ask for their participation for good causes, and I don't want that. I guess for now I will just have to wait and see. If it doesn't work out, I'll find a new venue.