Friday, February 3, 2012

Hoping and Planning


The day before yesterday, I sent this to Ms. AwesomeTeacher, who was one of my favorite people at TSHS.

Hi Ms. AwesomeTeacher,
I left you a message earlier today, but I figured I'd drop you a line via email in case it's a more convenient contact for you. I don't know if you remember me (I'm sure you've had a zillion students in the last six years), but I hope you do, because you're the one who got me totally obsessed with genetic conditions in the first place, lol.
Anyway, now that I'm getting into the Assistive Technology field, I got some ants in my pants to put together a charity project for Spinal Muscular Atrophy to raise some money for the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation, and I was hoping that you might want to help. Don't worry - I'm not shaking you down for cash. I want to get into motion a wheelchair-accessible 5k run to raise money for SMA, but the problem is that most public park trails aren't so wheelchair friendly, and the county has these awesome $2,500 road closure fees if I want to use a street. What I was really, really hoping is that maybe this was a project that could come to Tarpon High School, because the track there is perfect, and the large student body probably has some volunteers and runners swimming around in it. It's good for medical science, it's good for the students- it's really a win-win. I called the PCSB and they said essentially that I need a staff member (like yourself) to agree to sponsor the project and submit a request to do it to the principal as a school activity. I thought since you're into Biology and genetics (and so beautiful) that you might want to team up with me on this. Is that something you would have any interest in, or do you know anyone that might be interested? I thought it sounded like it was kind of right up your alley, so I thought I'd drop you a line and see. You can get a hold of me here via email or call me anytime it's convenient for you- my phone number is (not included).

Talk to you soon,

Helena Sue

Ms. AwesomeTeacher (who will remain anonymous until I have her permission otherwise) emailed me back this morning with what seemed like a hasty but warm and interested response, so now I'm cautiously allowing myself to be considerably more excited about the venue being TSHS than I was. To sum up, she essentially said that she is busy busy busy at the current moment, but she is interested and will email me soon. 

What I'm looking at now is the WBS I've put together to ascertain exactly what needs to be done and who is doing it. I am Human Resource A, and my WONDERFUL best friend has agreed to play the role of Human Resource B. So basically, all we need now is a venue, and Human Resources C, D, E, F, G, H, and I. Of course, I'm posting my not-so-exciting WBS here in case someone with more experience doing this sort of thing notices some large flaw or action that I have missed completely and would like to point it out. I love criticism, so please don't be shy! I also love volunteers. ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment